Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Lucy's Birthday Wishes

I recently asked Lucy what she would like for her birthday. Our conversation was as follows:

"Lu, what do you want for your birthday?"
"A guinea pig."
"No."
"Two rats."
"No."
"A car."
"What? Why would you want a car? No!"
"OK, a drum set."
"That sounds good."

It did not occur to me until a while afterwards that a drum set might not be an ideal gift. I mean, I don't want to discourage any musical exploration, but I suddenly had thoughts of, well, drums. Being played. In my house. A lot. And I realized that she actually had a brilliant strategy: Who is going to say no to drums after being asked for rodents and a car?

3 comments:

Toby Murdock said...

are we really getting a drum set?

Christine said...

Well, drums do sound better than 2 rats or a car, but a guinea pig doesn't sound so bad. I love her spirit!!! And maybe she'll be a kickass drummer in a band some day. Do you think she wants to drown out Evie's piano playing? Perhaps a little healthy sibling rivalry?

meg said...

Lu is a very, very smart little girl.