Monday, November 16, 2009

Brussels Sprouts Revisited


When I was younger, Brussels sprouts made me gag. I literally could not choke them down. I remember the dread I would feel when my mom placed them in front of me. Even our dog didn't like them so I had no escape. When I left home, I left Brussels sprouts and the thought of ever having to eat them again behind.

I started noticing Brussels sprouts again this fall because they keep placing huge stalks of them by the door of Whole Foods. The other night, I went to my friend Hilary's for dinner and she served them, pan seared. I warned her that I may not be able to eat them. Then I found myself asking for seconds and thirds.

I made them for dinner tonight and again, they were delicious. I made a side of peas for the girls, deciding that with this one vegetable, I wouldn't force them to even try it. Hopefully that way they won't wait until they are thirty-five to make Brussels sprouts a regular part of their diet. But they will definitely be in the vegetable rotation in our family every fall, when they are in season.

To cook them, just use olive oil or grape seed oil and sear them in a pan with a little bit of salt. You can also add garlic, lemon or oregano for more flavor. Not only do they taste good, but my mom was right to put them on our plates. They contain vitamin A, C, and folic acid and are supposed to prevent all sorts of cancers.

Bon apetit!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

To make them absolutely amazingly delicious (and fattening): pan fry bacon first, then chop it up. Drain the fat, add the brussel sprouts (cut into slices) to the pan and cook until brown. Reintroduce the bacon. You will not turn back! ... meg

Diana said...

I second the bacon suggestion. they are so good, i might even make some tonight!

Hilary said...

Glad I got you back to the brussels! xo