Friday, January 22, 2010

A Little Taste of Hollywood in Boulder

The girls and I just got back from the 3rd - 5th grade talent show at Evie's school. Is there anything cuter than kids getting up on stage, overcoming their fear of performing in front of a crowd and trying their best? Maybe by the time the girls head off to high school, I'll be tired of seeing talent shows, but for now it's one of my favorite parts of parenting. I love the effort and the heart and soul (which was played twice on the piano tonight) that goes into the performances.

They performed in the school gym, which had been transformed into a Hollywood set. When we walked in, Lucy pointed out that "They made the stage look like the mountain where we went hiking!" This being Boulder, there were several skits about hiking and camping, which went right along with Lucy's idea that the word "Hollywood" signifies a hiking hill.

Despite the Hollywood sign, an elementary school talent show is always far from glamorous. And I had bigger concerns than just the uncomfortable chair. With Toby away for work, I faced entertaining Noni for three hours while the performers entertained the rest of the crowd. Fortunately, eight years of parenting have taught me a few things. I came armed with snacks, juice boxes, crayons, paper, and a backpack full of Disney Princess dolls. Of course, Noni spilled her juice box all over and yelled "I peed!" in the middle of someone's song, but overall she enjoyed the show.

I loved every act - from the multiple performances of girls singing and dancing to Miley Cyrus's Party In the U.S.A. or Taylor Swift's You Belong to Me, to the three fourth grade boys rocking it on electric guitars to Metallica's Enter Sandman to the third grader who played Falling Slowly (from Once) on the harp, and, of course, to Evie playing I've Got Music on the piano. And I loved seeing all of her friends from her class get up on stage and give it their all.

The talent show was for grades 3rd to 5th, which gave me a good idea of the changes to come in the next two years. The fifth graders are definitely all over the whole tween thing. After two weeks of rehearsing with them, Evie turned to me at the end of the show and asked for skinny jeans and a Taylor Swift CD. Which just goes to show that Boulder and Hollywood have a few things in common after all.


A photo of Evie at the show finale with the entire cast. Oh, and of my thumb.

No comments: