Thursday, January 29, 2009

25 random things about me

I wasn't going to do the "25 random things" note that kept getting passed around on Facebook, but after being tagged a number of times, I realized I was enjoying reading 25 random things about my friends. A lot of them made me laugh out loud and I learned some things I didn't know about people who are close to me. So I gave it a try. It was fun to do and I thought I might as well include it here as well:

1. I was born feet first, no c-section.
2. I used to think I couldn't smell, but since having kids, I've realized I can smell strong smells ever so slightly. But still not stinky diapers, so that comes in handy.
3. My great uncle was a slightly famous geologist who helped discover plate tectonics. Now that I live in Los Angeles (and have already experienced several quakes), I hope there is never cause for it to be written about me that my relationship to him was ironic.
4. I had my fifteen minutes of fame when I wrote a co-wrote a children's book with my mom in DC (Cecily Cicada). We were on the radio and television and did a number of school tours. When I look at the book now, I can't believe how little Evie looks in it.
5. Most of my memories from growing up involve Lake Champlain or the woods.
6. Probably the closest I ever came to dying was in a shower at Becky's host family's house in Ecuador where they had a metal switch to turn on and off the hot water IN the shower. As I was in the shower, I reached up to turn it off (brilliant) and was stuck to the metal lever for several seconds (due to the electrical current flowing through my hands) before I was able to pry myself off and stumble out of the shower.
7. I wrote in my diary that I'd marry Toby after our first date.
8. I consider myself an environmentalist, but I've realized recently that all I do to help the environment these days is buy organic food and bring my grocery bags to the store. I'd like to get more involved.
9. I can't read The Lorax by Dr. Seuss without crying.
10. I am the Youth Education Director at our (very progressive and open-minded) church, which would've shocked me ten years ago since I went to church twice a year before meeting Toby and hadn't even heard of Unity until a few years ago.
11. The cops shut down my wedding.
12. I wish I had more time to take art classes. I miss painting and drawing.
13. My favorite food in the world is the brownie pudding dessert at Basin Harbor Club in Vermont.
14. I've always wanted to be a great dancer. Unfortunately, I have no rhythm. But I still like to dance.
15. When I was in college, a guy fell off the roof 8 floors above us and landing on the cafeteria roof right outside of our window. My roomates and I looked at him, with bones sticking out and everything, and started screaming. He came back to visit us several months later. He was fine but one inch shorter. He said he didn't realize how bad it was until we all took a look at him and screamed.
16. I've run 2 1/2 marathons - the San Diego Rock'n'Roll, Nashville Country Music (with Toby), and Frederick 1/2.
17. I love it when the girls kiss, hug, read to each other, or show their love for each other in any way.
18. I don't even remember what it's like to sleep in on a weekend.
19. When I went into labor with Noni, I was fairly confident after delivering two babies naturally. I ended up doing a bridge on the table and the doctor said she'd never seen that before. It hurt more than I could've ever imagined. I wasn't planning on 9 lbs.
20. Probably the hardest I've ever laughed is at camp with Janna when we snuck in to the cafeteria to get some extra milk and then Janna couldn't get the milk, which was pouring all over the floor, to stop coming out of the faucet.
21. I think every day about how nice it would be for my girls to grow up closer to our families, especially their cousins (on both sides), and how I wish I could know my friends' children better. I can't believe some of my best friends have children I've never even met.
22. I have seen Machu Picchu at sunrise.
23. Evie slept in our bed until she was two, Lucy until she was four, and now Noni comes in our bed in the middle of the night. It would be nice to sleep through the night, but I'll be sad when Noni grows out of it. (Even thinking that makes me consider four, but it's a thought that I can put to rest simply by looking at the laundry pile.)
24. The worst job I ever had was probably being a maid for a summer in Wyoming. Living on a ranch in Wyoming was an amazing experience, but being a maid was not. I won't get into details. You can imagine.
25. I like the quote Jen used here and am stealing it: "You only get one shot at this, so make the most of it!"

No comments: