Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Skiing with the Cousins

We just got back from two sunny spring ski days in Beaver Creek with Toby's brother and his family. I love getting the girls together with their cousins. Whether they are making Michael Jackson videos with Hannah and Addis or skiing down the slopes in a pack with Jack, Patrick and Emilia, the girls always have a great time. We are so fortunate to have cousins their age on both sides.

Their cousins are slightly better skiers than Evie and Lucy, who spent the two days at Beaver Creek trying to keep up. I had a few near heart attacks watching Lucy bomb straight down the mountain, but after a day of Toby and me yelling, "TURN! TURN! NOW!", she gained more control. Evie skied three black diamonds. Lucy skied one, which would have probably gone well if she hadn't attempted it at 3:30 in the afternoon after skiing since 9 a.m (she had already proved herself pretty fearless). With tired, shaking legs, she worked her way down the trail as I coaxed her down. She and I learned just how long it is from the top to the bottom of Beaver Creek. I have to say I'm really proud of the girls. When we first strapped on skis on the bunny slope at Eldora in December, I never imagined they'd be cruising around Beaver Creek by the end of the year.

Noni was a little out of her league and stayed at the bottom part of the mountain on the green runs. Her favorite part of skiing was probably the princess ski helmet cover that Yalin bought for her. From the other end of the harness, I listened to her spend every ski run down debating whether she should be skiing Snow White or skiing Cinderella.



After skiing, the cousins all enjoyed some apres ski at the pool. (I love the tagline for Beaver Creek: "Not Exactly Roughing It")


As always, it was great to get together. Thanks Sean, Yalin, Jack, Patrick and Emilia for a great trip!




2 comments:

Carl said...

..and it seems like only yesterday that I talked her mother down a black diamond at Sugarbush North.

Christine said...

Wow, epic year of skiing for the girls! Next year they'll be heli-skiing.