Monday, March 8, 2010

The Title of This Blog Entry Is -- Oh, Wait, What Was I Saying?


Poor Roger Ross Williams just can't finish a speech without getting interrupted. First he was interrupted during the Oscars, as Mike explains here, and then, given a second chance to make his speech on Larry King, he was interrupted again!

I can totally relate. Not to the Oscar part of course, but getting interrupted? Even as I typed that last sentence I stopped after the word "part" to agree with Noni that, yes, Fuzzy Baby (her doll) looks like a princess in the hat she is wearing today.

Forget trying to talk to Toby at dinner, ever. Here is a typical dinner conversation at our house:

Toby: So, how was your -
Evie: Guess what? In math today -
Lucy: We are learning about space in -
Noni: Can I have ketchup on my fish?
Me: Yes, here's the ketchup. It was good. How was -
Lucy: Eeew, ketchup on her fish! Noni eats ketchup on every-
Noni: Well, today, at my gym school -
Evie:...we are learning about -
Lucy: Burp! [Unfortunately she has recently discovered the ability to burp at any given moment.]
Noni: Mom! Lucy burped!

...and so on.

I think this is why recently I have all but given up television (unless I'm watching Modern Family on Hulu) and gone back to just reading at night. I can't stand the interruption of commercials. I also will admit to being somewhat concerned that by the time the girls grow up and leave the house, my brain will no longer be able to function in complete thoughts, but will just start interrupting itself out of practice.

I wonder if Roger Ross Williams has kids. If so, he probably felt that all those interruptions were just par for the course.

2 comments:

Christine said...

funny Kita! I can relate. I also have noticed with myself how shrill I have become when I am interrupted. "Say Excuse Me!" I shriek all the time. "Daddy and I are having a conversation!" "What you have to say is not more important than what we have to say!"

sarah said...

LOL--even with just Ethan, the interruptions are constant. I have not had a complete thought in years.