Thursday, August 5, 2010

Family Friendly Camping

Last week, a friend told me that she had just read about a cave that was recently opened to the public. Every evening, thousands of bats fly out of the cave at the same time. I thought it sounded amazing and wanted to take the girls so we agreed that we'd go together next week with the kids and camp near the cave.

When I looked at the website she sent, I was even more excited about our trip. The Orient Land Trust, where the cave is located, is 22 miles from the nearest gas station, over 30 miles from the nearest supermarket, and full of hot springs. Plus, there is supposed to be a meteor shower on the night we were planning on going. I could only imagine the night sky from such a remote campground.

So I called up to make a reservation.

Reservation guy: Orient Land Trust.

Me: Hi, I'm interested in making a reservation for me and my friend and our kids.

Him: Great. Before you do, I just want to make sure you're aware that the campgrounds are clothing optional.

Me:...

Him: Hello?

Me: Yes, um, so when you say "clothing optional", you mean like in the hot springs? Because I'm fine with naked people in the hot springs.

Him: Yes, there are naked people in the hot springs. Also, people are naked camping.

Me: Naked camping?

Him: Yes.

Me: Hmm, so I am not sure how to say this. I guess, well, is the campsite family friendly?

Him: I'd say it's naked family friendly.

Me:... (Unable to help considering the word naked family friendly and what that would mean for society. Cinderella no longer needing a gown for the ball, Little Red Riding Hood having to scrap her name...)

Him: Should we make that reservation?

Me: No thanks, I think we're good.

1 comment:

sarah said...

hahaha!! "naked family friendly" That is hilarious!