Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Evie and Lucy, Flower Children





Today both girls came home with their hair in beaded braids, palms covered in henna and wearing tie-dyes. They chanted "Om nama shivaya" on the car ride home, which they had already chanted one hundred and eight times this morning. No, they haven't stepped out of a hot tub time machine from Woodstock. They attended yoga camp at the Eldorado Mountain Yoga Ashram this week and absolutely loved it.

For any Boulder parents looking for camp for their kids next summer, I can't recommend it enough. They spent the week practicing yoga, making art projects, hiking and swimming in an artesian spring water pool (which is actually a fancy way for saying a cold and somewhat murky pool, but the girls didn't seem to mind). They came home every day covered in paint and dirt, with huge smiles on their faces.

And, while the girls were learning meditative practices on the yoga mat, I was enjoying my first week at home this summer with the older girls in camp. I will miss them both once school starts in two (two!!) weeks, but I have to admit that I was practicing my own mantra. Rather than "Om
nama shivaya", I would wake up every morning thinking, "They are going to camp! They are going to camp!" Ah, peace.

Some more photos from their week at camp:

The entrance of the camp
The bus the girls painted on the first day. You can see "Lucy" on the window.


Lucy and Nolan were in the Ganesh group

Another Ganesh


Happy campers




3 comments:

sarah said...

that looks like the coolest camp EVER. Can I go???!!
Seriously, "what did you do today?" "We painted a bus & meditated." I LOVE IT!

your girls are having the most amazing childhood ever.

Louie said...

all they need now is to learn how to hackysack and they'll fully transform into totally hippies. :)

joking of course - just jealous i can't go to camp

Christine said...

Those girls are ready for Burning Man!! Seriously, they got to paint a bus? I want to go. Beats camp at the Banner school, eh?