Saturday, October 23, 2010

Noni, Top Chef



Lately I've had a helper in the kitchen. Whether she's stirring a pot of red lentil soup or flattening some pizza dough, Noni has taken a sudden interest in cooking. If I'm making a recipe that is too complicated for a three-year-old helper (she still has some work to do on cracking eggs), we pull her plastic kitchen set into the hall and she keeps me company by coming up with her own make-believe creations while I cook.

I give Monica Wellington the credit for Noni's newfound interest. Wellington is the author of a series of books about young entrepreneurs and many of them are in the business of making and selling food. Whether we're reading about Suzette selling crepes or Annie selling apples or Sally selling pizzas, Noni loves her stories.

You can check out the recipes from her books on her website (click here). Noni's favorite is the pizza recipe, which we altered only slightly by using 1/2 whole wheat flour and adding olive oil.

If you have a little chef in your own kitchen, I suggest you check out Wellington's books.






























Chef Noni in her apron

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How wonderful it is to begin, at 3, to really find out who your child is. I loved this!
Peeky

Anonymous said...

Kita, I ordered one of her books (the Apple Annie one) for Bea for Christmas. I bet it's going to be right up her alley! Thanks.
-Erin

Christine said...

So fun that she's developing more very specific interests (and one that can be helpful to you at that)--and so great how you encourage all your kids' interests!