Sunday, October 3, 2010

2010 Boulder 1/2 Marathon: A Review


Today, after a two week delay due to the fires, I finally ran the Boulder half marathon. It was a beautiful morning, sunny and cool. The course couldn't have been better--thirteen point two miles on dirt roads that wind through horse ranches and cow pastures, ending and starting at the reservoir, with a view of the mountains the whole way.

Unfortunately, I wasn't feeling so great. I woke up with, um, digestive issues and struggled with stomach cramps during the whole run. It was one of those races where you debate just giving up and walking with every step. Not so fun. I probably would have given up and walked had it not been for my family coming to watch. When I reached the six mile point, they all cheered me on. I ran the next two miles with the thought of Lucy in my mind -- waving her spider-monkey arms, yelling "Go Mama!" and giving me a big hug when I ran past her. When I crossed them again at mile eight, she ran out to give me a huge smile and hand me a Gatorade. Then Toby joined me for the rest of the run. You might think joining in for the last five miles of a thirteen mile race isn't such a huge deal, but I couldn't help but appreciate his effort. I wasn't sure he'd follow through, as he spent the prior evening attending the CU game and then celebrating their victory. But he made it (albeit a little hungover) and, if he hadn't joined me, I am not sure I would've run the whole thing.

With a time that was nine minutes slower than the last half marathon I did, it wasn't exactly the best race I've ever run, but I am still glad I did it. I am thankful for all of the beautiful mountain trail training runs leading up to it (and also grateful that the coyote I kept seeing on my morning runs was, in fact, a coyote and not a mountain lion as I imagined every time). Also, despite my less than stellar day on the roads, it is a beautiful, well-organized run. Hopefully my family is up for cheering me on again, as I'll probably torture myself with it again next year!

4 comments:

Liz said...

Congrats!!! If I can altitude acclimate, maybe I'll join you next year!!!

sarah said...

You go, girl! Congrats on your run! So great that Toby joined you at the end of the race. Five miles seems like a lot to me! LOL

Christine said...

You are amazing--a 1/2 marathon is daunting enough without being sick. It's so great you did it, and so wonderful Toby is such a great supportive husband and joins you for the last 5! Miss you guys!

Christine said...

You are amazing--a 1/2 marathon is daunting enough without being sick. It's so great you did it, and so wonderful Toby is such a great supportive husband and joins you for the last 5! Miss you guys!