Sunday, November 28, 2010

The Next Stage

This morning I filled three garbage bags with clothing for Goodwill. The clothes range from size "newborn" to 2T and each item brought back a flood of memories. Glover Park t-shirts, Frederick soccer uniforms, much loved leotards and princess t-shirts... I pulled out the ones that felt particularly significant, like the pink and black skirt that Evie wore daily for nearly a year, but the rest are off to be released into the world. For the first time, I am not saving the smaller sizes to be passed down to a little sister. I felt a stir of emotions as I filled up the bags, but they weren't the emotions I was expecting.

For the past nine years, I have devoted my life to raising three daughters. I also went to grad school and wrote two books. But, if you took snapshots of me moment to moment over the past nine years, you would see me wiping a nose here, pushing a swing there, changing a diaper here, and giving a hug there. I have been very busy with all the very busy things that one does when raising toddlers. It's not that, as a mother, I'm not doing any of those things any more just because the girls are older. It's just that recently I find myself more often planning activities for Lucy's Brownie troop or teaching Evie's math league or listening to Lucy read or helping Evie think up arguments for a debate or driving to soccer or ballet or piano or drama or science seekers or gymnastics... I'm still busy raising them, but it's different.

This difference struck me a few weeks ago when I spend the weekend in Boston with five friends from college and three babies. I watched them nursing and snuggling and calming their babies. I remember that stage so well. There were nights when Evie was up screaming for three hours and I found myself in tears thinking this stage will never ever end. And then there was her first smile and her first laugh and I found myself praying that this stage will never ever end.

But it did. It does. That's the way life works of course. Now my first baby is learning about elastic potential energy, my second baby can read and ride a bike and my third baby goes to preschool and didn't even need to sit on my lap during Tangled. This is the though that, while folding tiny t-shirts, I expected to bring me to tears.

Here's the thing though. I love this stage. I love that we can all go skiing or hike up Sanitas together. I love that I spent the morning in a debate with Evie and Lucy over whether it's better to be a werewolf, vampire or ghost (in case you're wondering, I'm going with werewolf) and that we'll spend the afternoon at the Nutcracker. Do I miss the snuggly, sweet stage of raising babies? Of course. But while I look older nine years later, I'm also realizing that I'm suddenly feeling younger than I've felt in a long while. I'm getting more sleep and more exercise and I'm finding more time to pursue interests that have gotten dusty over the past nine years.

Looking at those bags, I can't help but feel nostalgic at all the memories that go along with the stained and worn clothing in them. But part of me feels that, by pulling those clothes out of closets and the basement and releasing them into the world, we have made a little more room for ourselves at this stage of our lives. And to tell you the truth, that feels like a wonderful thing.

8 comments:

sarah said...

I love this post :-)

Anonymous said...

Amen, Kita! I love traveling now. I always feel like I'm forgetting something because there's so little to carry on the plane.
-Erin

Anonymous said...

Kita--

Although it feels like eons ago, I remember the same transition and the pangs that accompanied the loss of my little guys. Two thoughts-- (1)they get more interesting (occasionally demanding)which adds to the depths of your enjoyment and (2)surprisingly soon, those three little girls will create a new generation and you get to cuddle/play/spoli without getting the 4am cry "Mommy" but with all of the emotional bonding. I know because you gave me three wonderful babies to love. It seems like yesterday that Toby was a pudgy tyke whose actions amused and amazed me!

Poppy

Christine said...

You so perfectly put into words what I've been feeling a lot lately. We'd have to trade the pink and black skirt for a gekko print fleece jacket though. This stage is wonderful, but realizing that means that the last stage is completely over.....

Anonymous said...

Beautifully said. Thought about this a lot over the Thanksgiving weekend as things felt a lot different with Celyn in a completely different stage. Wish we were closer so that we could experience this new stage together.
Anne Marie

Toby Murdock said...

in case this is too ambiguous for anyone, this is an official declaration that #4 is very unlikely

Diana said...

I loved this post too and at this time, when I am struggling to stay sane through incredible sleep deprivation, it's a reminder to enjoy not just endure these early moments and look forward to what is coming in the not so distant future. Thank you for that.

Anonymous said...

Here, here! and the good stuff just keeps on coming...