Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Used, it's the new black

For the past few days, the winds have been blowing some cold air down from the mountains and into Boulder. After a year in southern California, I am welcoming the change in temperature, but realizing that those dusty bins of winter clothing might not hold enough to keep me warm. I have some jackets - a shell that's great for layering and a wool coat - but I started thinking that a puffy, down jacket would be my best bet on a wintry day.

Unfortunately, a quick search online showed me that North Face sells wonderful winter coats...for $200. Not quite in our start-up budget this fall. But then it occurred to me that, while I just moved from a warm climate to a cool one, there must be someone out there in the opposite situation. Someone with a coat to sell. Sure enough, a few clicks later and I was bidding for a down coat on Ebay. I lost the auction for last year's model of North Face's down coat (which ultimately sold for $50), but found one from the Limited that's heading my way right now. Cost? $18.

I'm not new to purchasing used items. We have a jogging stroller and trundle bed that are both from Craig's List in L.A. and D.C. But this fall, with a tight budget and a new house and climate, I've been appreciating the option more than ever. Toby found shelving at a used furniture store, we bought Evie's lizard and cage on Craig's list, and I bought ten cloth napkins for $5.00 at a yard sale. Right now I'm in the process of searching for furnishing for our guest room with items from Craig's List.

While the cost is what's mostly driving me to buy items this way, it's also nice knowing that I'm saving items from a landfill and preventing new items from being manufactured. When I bought the cloth napkins, I loved the idea that I'd be diminishing our need for paper napkins and saving the cloth napkins from the landfill at the same time. I only wish I'd had more money with me at the time as it'd be nice to be able to host a party with cloth napkins for every guest.

Well, I'm heading back out into the cold to pick up Evie at school. I hope my new jacket arrives soon. If anyone asks me where I got it, I'm looking forward to replying, "It's vintage."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it. Good Will is one of my favorite places - lots of great steals, many still with tags attached. I've always felt better shopping secondhand. It's recycling!

sarah said...

love this! I plan to get acquainted with my local Craigslist offerings this year, too.