Monday, April 5, 2010

Evie's Smile


When I complain that I haven't had a very productive day, my mom will respond to me, "Well, the girls grew up a little bit today." And it's true. My job right now is to raise them and every day they get a little bit older... and hopefully I help them to grow a little bit wiser too. In the frenzy of laundry and meals and soccer practices and homework, weeks and sometimes even months can go by where I don't notice that time has passed and the girls are growing up. Then something happens with one of them -- a first word, a lost tooth, a swim across the pool, a new haircut -- and it hits me that the snuggly, toothless and clueless baby that I brought home from the hospital is long gone.

I had a moment like that with Evie today. I picked her up from school early and dropped her off at the orthodontist's. An hour and a half later, Lucy, Noni and I picked up an Evie with a whole new smile. She was still wearing pigtails. Also? She still jumps up and down when she's excited about something and she still believes in the Easter Bunny. And yet...



This is still Evie to me.



Only now, she looks like this!





6 comments:

sarah said...

oh my goodness, I'm all vklempt, Kita! For some reason the pictures aren't showing up but that is such a grown up moment!

I love your mom's comment about how every day they grow up a little bit, even when the day is too cluttered with other things to realize or think about it. That gave me chills. I have to remember to look more closely at the days as they go by. sigh.

Dating in Denver said...

Lovely writing and such a bittersweet sentiment. It's sad and wonderful too to be a mom, isn't it?

Christine said...

I love your mom's comment too! I wish my mom made helpful comments like that. It's true--they are always growing! Sometimes it's hard to see....

I can't see the photos either but can't wait until I can!

Anonymous said...

I know I'm emotional, but you just made me teary. Please tell Evie her Auderset friends say she looks gorgeous. (And we still enjoy seeing her 2-year-old self on the back page of Cecily Cicada.)

Carl said...

Cute then, cute now!

Toby Murdock said...

"My job right now is to raise them and every day they get a little bit older... and hopefully I help them to grow a little bit wiser too"

You're the best! xoxox