Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Nine



This weekend, three of Evie's fourth-grade girl friends came over for a sleepover party to celebrate Evie's ninth birthday. As Toby wrote, it was heartwarming after so many moves to see Evie enjoying close friends. As I watched Evie and her friends take over the house with their energy and laughter and excitement, I couldn't help but think how nine and ten are such wonderful ages. They switch back and forth seamlessly from tweeny ("Oh my God, did you Selena Gomez's outfit on Wizard's of Waverly Place?" "I know! It was soooooo cute!" "Totally. She has the best clothes.") to child-like ("Hey, do you guys want to climb the tree in our front yard?" "Yes! And let's pretend we're bears." "Okay, I'm the mom bear! You can be the sister bear...") They care deeply for their friends, but they haven't yet hit the stage of cutting down other girls to attempt to boost their own self-esteem (Can we skip that stage?). I also love that Evie is at an age where we can have more adult conversations. Last night, she and Toby discussed the Revolutionary War at dinner. On the way to school this morning, she and I talked about what we like about our favorite books.

Two weeks ago, the fires brought out all of our photo albums and, now that they're out, we've been looking them over. There's Evie with short curly hair heading off to preschool and Evie, gap-toothed, playing the piano. We couldn't believe how young she looked when Noni was born or when we left Frederick. All of these photos do make me nostalgic, but when I think about what a great stage she's in now, it makes watching her grow up a little easier.

1 comment:

sarah said...

Happy birthday to Evie!!! You know, I think your girls just might escape most of that "mean girl" stuff--I see it in so many girls in preschool already, but I never saw a glimmer of it in your girls when we lived in LA; their ability to make friends everywhere they go, and to just be truly genuine to who they are as individuals makes me wonder if they'll ever really fall into that trap of needing to appease the other girls by being mean. Does that make any sense?