Thursday, May 13, 2010

Our Family's New Obsession: American Idol

Over the past eight years, we've never really watched television together as a family. I know, I know, we're hardly even American. We'd probably be arrested in Arizona. But, when I'm watching television (Glee, Modern Family), the girls are usually in bed. And when the girls are watching tv (Sponge Bob, Angelina), I am usually using that time to frantically clean the house or write or send an email or pay a bill, or at the very least to sit in the other room with a magazine and enjoy a little bit of quiet.

And then came this season's American Idol. These days, if you were to stop by our house at 7 pm on a Tuesday night, you'd find the whole family in front of the television. We have strong opinions too. Evie is so enamored by Crystal that she recently asked me if I could start calling her "Crystal" as a nickname. And I have a huge "musical crush" on Lee. (But we can both agree that they sound amazing together. See below.)

I'm sure there are better ways to spend time as a family than in front of the screen, but I kind of like our new tradition. Evie has recently said that she wants to be on American Idol when she gets older so now I figure this time is just research for her. Plus, it will help with their reading skills. How else are they going to recognize everyone in People magazine if they don't start watching tv now?


No comments: