Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Smoothies


My girls are not good fruit eaters. At all. Especially Evie, whose fruit tolerance is pretty much limited to apples, which may keep the doctor away but are probably the lamest fruit of all when it comes to vitamins. So far I've tried to reassure myself that at least she eats broccoli and peas and her daily vitamins should cover the rest. But recently I've discovered the smoothie. It's hardly a revolutionary discovery, but it's made a huge change in the health habits of our family.

Here are our go-to recipes:

For me:

6 oz plain Wallaby lowfat yogurt
a handful of frozen peaches
a cup of milk
1 banana

For the girls:

6 oz plain Wallaby lowfat yogurt
a handful of frozen peaches
a handful of frozen strawberries
a handful of frozen raspberries
a cup of milk
1 banana

I've been thinking of sneaking in some kale or flax seed or other healthy food, but I'm not sure I want to mess with a good thing.

Evie in stripes with a smoothie.

2 comments:

Liz said...

Eh, Mike and I never ate fruit and we grew physically fine (jury still out on mental health)

sarah said...

Ethan loves smoothies (but he'll eat any fruit anyway); I wish I could put something protein-y in his smoothies to bulk him up a bit! LOL